Sunday, February 5, 2012

2/6/12- Role of the Holy Spirit

Q. In how many persons does this one God exist?
A. Three persons exist in the one God: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.  These three are one God, the same in substance, and equal in power and glory.   


 I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. (John 14:16-18)


26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you (Jn. 14:26)


But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment. (John 16:7)


13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you.” (John 16:13-15)


(Presbyerian symbol full of Holy Spirit symbols of the dove descending on the open Bible, with flames coming up, and three parallel lines). 


Thoughts: What is the role of the Holy Spirit?  In creation, the Spirit was there, hovering over the waters.  The Spirit seems to especially apply God to our lives- quickening us in regeneration, and giving us God's word (inspiring, preserving, illuminating and convicting it). The Spirit convicts us of sin but also restrains sin. The Spirit gives us gifts.
    Jesus calls the Spirit the parakletos (para=alongside; kletos= called)- literally "the one called alongside to help."  The Spirit is our comforter and advocate, who conveys the presence, love, and grace of God to us. 

     The Spirit helps our spirit groan to God (Rom. 8).  The Spirit gives us the Bible, helps us to pray, gives us communion/fellowship with each other, teaches us and uses us in witnessing to others.  The Spirit makes God real to us today. 


Prayer: Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me. Break me, melt me, fill me, use me.  Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me. 


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPm7nmudlKM



No comments:

Post a Comment