Monday, June 18, 2012

The Mirror Image


15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;
20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. (Colossians 1:15-20)



Thoughts: Jesus is the mirror image of God the Father (Heb. 1:3; Jn. 1:18: 14:9). If you want to find out what the invisible God looks like- look at Jesus.  Any other image we conjure up becomes an idol- and a distortion.  But we can also distort and tarnish the image of Christ.  We can make Christ in our image- or make Him into the way we want Him to be, instead of listening to how He is described by the eyewitnesses and those who lived close to Him when He walked this earth.
    Years ago I went to the "House of Mirrors" at the State Fair.  At first I thought it was boring, but then when I got in the middle, it was hard to find my way out.  There seemed to be 20 doors and 40 images of myself.  It is important to get the true image.  I also saw in that same house of mirrors some mirrors that made me look overly fat, and other mirrors that made me look taller and skinnier than I really was.  It is important to get the right image of Christ- for this image of Christ points out to God the Father.  Jesus was the One who taught us to see God as Father, and as a God who loves us, cares for us when we are sick, and welcomes us back to Himself when we are prodigals.  The Bible gives us a good, clean, untarnished, undistorted image of Christ.  The Bible is the glass that reflects that image- but Christ is the two dimensional-incarnated image of the multi-dimensional, multi-faceted Father.

Prayer: May I see you clearly revealed in your Word, Father.  May I see you clearly revealed through the Living Word who came for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment