Saturday, June 21, 2014

6/22/14- Thyatira

18“To the angel of the church in Thyatira write:
These are the words of the Son of God, whose eyes are like blazing fire and whose feet are like burnished bronze. 19I know your deeds, your love and faith, your service and perseverance, and that you are now doing more than you did at first.
20Nevertheless, I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophet. By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols.21I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling. 22So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways. 23I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds.
24Now I say to the rest of you in Thyatira, to you who do not hold to her teaching and have not learned Satan’s so-called deep secrets, ‘I will not impose any other burden on you, 25except to hold on to what you have until I come.’ (Revelation 2)

Thoughts: This is a great passage to think on.  Jesus is writing to the church in Thyatira.  It could just as well be our church.  The church had love, and served, and were trying hard to keep it together.  But the problem was the tolerance of Jezebel.  The first Jezebel was the wife of King Ahab, who promoted sexual immorality and the worship of the fertility god Baal. 
     
     Those who did not give into this teaching were not told to leave and form a pure church, but instead called to stay and hold onto what they have until Jesus comes.  


Prayer: Help me to hold on to faithfulness, even when times are hard.  





No comments:

Post a Comment