Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Shaking Up the Temple- Shaking Up Me

14The blind and the lame came to him at the temple, and he healed them. 15But when the chief priests and the teachers of the law saw the wonderful things he did and the children shouting in the temple courts, “Hosanna to the Son of David,” they were indignant.
16“Do you hear what these children are saying?” they asked him.
“Yes,” replied Jesus, “have you never read,
“ ‘From the lips of children and infants
you, Lord, have called forth your praise’g ?”
17And he left them and went out of the city to Bethany, where he spent the night. (Matthew 21:14-17)

Thoughts: It boggles my mind that the priests would want the children to stop singing about Jesus and they were irritated about his healing people in the Temple.  It seems so cruel of them.  How callous they are to Jesus, the Son of God.
       Then I think again.  Do I really want Jesus to shake my life up that much?  Do I really expect and desire Him to answer my prayers so that people are dramatically changed for the better- yes- and no.  There is always a part of me that wants only the expected, the normal, the status quo.  Some times I would rather have just a touch- just a pinch of religion but not too much.  I put on the brakes.  I say, in effect, "God come in and be real- but my life is pretty nice- don't shake it up too much."  When I speak like this (too often- after all- I AM a Presbyterian), I am expressing more trust in my reason and less real trust in God's love.  I have found that God has been super patient with me.  I have found that He is much more sensitive to my fears than I am to His love.  He treats us all with more mercy than we deserve.  But I hear the voice of Jesus say to give a bit more of my heart and my life to Him.  As I do, without fear, he proves Himself trustworthy.  Truth is, I am the blind man.  Blind to His true love.  I am the lame man- half walking as a Christian and half walking as a sinner.  He longs to make me truly whole.  Lord, let me listen to the uninhibited voices that call me to give my whole self to you. 

Prayer: Lord, it is easy to condemn the Pharisees without seeing that I am one.  Forgive my desire for only a half-religion.  Help me to grow in love with you and neighbor and without fear or putting on the brakes.  


No comments:

Post a Comment