Monday, April 16, 2018

Gideon's Tests











17Gideon replied, “If now I have found favor in your eyes, give me a sign that it is really you talking to me. 18Please do not go away until I come back and bring my offering and set it before you.”
And the Lord said, “I will wait until you return.”
19Gideon went inside, prepared a young goat, and from an ephaha of flour he made bread without yeast. Putting the meat in a basket and its broth in a pot, he brought them out and offered them to him under the oak.
20The angel of God said to him, “Take the meat and the unleavened bread, place them on this rock, and pour out the broth.” And Gideon did so. 21Then the angel of the Lord touched the meat and the unleavened bread with the tip of the staff that was in his hand. Fire flared from the rock, consuming the meat and the bread. And the angel of the Lord disappeared. 22When Gideon realized that it was the angel of the Lord, he exclaimed, “Alas, Sovereign Lord! I have seen the angel of the Lord face to face!”
23But the Lord said to him, “Peace! Do not be afraid. You are not going to die.”


36Gideon said to God, “If you will save Israel by my hand as you have promised— 37look, I will place a wool fleece on the threshing floor. If there is dew only on the fleece and all the ground is dry, then I will know that you will save Israel by my hand, as you said.” 38And that is what happened. Gideon rose early the next day; he squeezed the fleece and wrung out the dew—a bowlful of water.
39Then Gideon said to God, “Do not be angry with me. Let me make just one more request. Allow me one more test with the fleece, but this time make the fleece dry and let the ground be covered with dew.” 40That night God did so. Only the fleece was dry; all the ground was covered with dew. (Judges 6)

Thoughts:  Gideon was someone who God made into a mighty warrior.  But Gideon had many doubts.  The angel of God came to Gideon and Gideon said, "The Lord has abandoned us."  But clearly God was there.  Later Gideon would go into the camp out of fear to hear what the Midianites were dreaming.  He was doubting and a bit insecure. 
     Gideon asked for a sign, and the offering he offered the Lord was consumed with fire.
     Then Gideon asked for a fleece sign.  He first asked for dew only on the fleece and not on the ground (and that happened).  Then he asked for dew only on the ground and not on the fleece (and that happened).  God was gracious to Gideon.  Normally we are not to test the Lord our God.  God is able to give a sign.  But we are called to have faith in God without signs.  

Prayer: Lord, help me to grow in trust in you and in the calling you give me to glorify you in my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment