Saturday, September 9, 2023

The Hospitality of the Garden

 8Now the Lord God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. 9The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.10A river watering the garden flowed from Eden; (Gen. 2:8-10)

Thoughts:  Hospitality means thinking of other's needs.  God certainly did that when He put human beings in the midst of a place where their needs would be met.  The point of this story is that God cared for his human creation by providing for them.  He is Jehovah Jireh- the Lord provides.  Mankind did not place themselves on this earth.  They did not give themselves their brain- and it is not just luck or accidental cosmic chaos that put them in a place where they could have their needs met.  God is the greatest model of hospitality. 
    From His example, we should want to put our children in a place where their needs are met.  We should also look to God when we have needs- and not just to our own hand.  God did not put them in the garden and then leave.  When you are trying to be hospitable on purpose to family members, neighbors or friends- think about what their needs may be and what role you could play in meeting them.  


Prayer: Lord, you are the great provider.  Everything I see came from your hand.  All that I have is indirectly and even directly gifts from you.  Help me to trust in you.  Help me to believe that if I give away my time, my house, my possessions you are able to provide for my needs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment