Sunday, January 29, 2012

1/29/12- Knowing God

WSC- Define God.
A: God is a Spirit, whose being, wisdom, power, holiness, justice, goodness and truth are all infinite, eternal, and unchangeable.    



23 This is what the LORD says: “Let not the wise boast of their wisdom or the strong boast of their strength or the rich boast of their riches, 24 but let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me, 
that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth,
   for in these I delight,” declares the LORD. (Jeremiah 9:23-24) 

10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death. (Philippians 3:10)

(Jesus Christ- Warner Salman 1941)

Thoughts: If we know about God but do not know Him personally then our knowledge, though wide, is shallow.  If you know all about Christianity but do not know Jesus Christ personally, that knowledge puffs up rather than builds up.  I can know all about someone on Facebook- but if I have never met them then my knowledge is limited, and in fact could be wrong (just think of the Craigslist murders- Philip Markoff (4/2009) and Richard Beasley (2011) who presented one image on Craigslist but another in real life. You can know this shorter catechism answer. But it's purpose is that knowing about God- you will want to know Him. Billions have testified that the God of the Bible is worth knowing.  They speak of the power of God to help them in time of need.  They speak of the love and goodness of God that strengthens them when they are weak.  They speak of the truth and holiness of God that gives them meaning and a basis for living their lives with confidence and hope.  Do not just seek to get information about God, seek God's presence, God's worship, God's strength in your life.  If you seek Him, you will find Him when you search for Him with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:13). 


Prayer: You are my rock, my strength my stone.  May I find my peace, my joy, my hope and strength in you, O Lord. 


No comments:

Post a Comment