Wednesday, April 25, 2012

4/26/12- Union in Christ

WSC Q. 34- What is adoption?
Adoption is a free act of God's grace, in which we are received into the family, and have a right to all the privileges of the children of God.  

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! (2 Corinthians 5:17)

There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. (Galatians 3:28)



Thoughts: What do the words "in Christ Jesus" mean?  We are united in Christ.  We are baptized in Christ, one in Christ, in faith in Christ.  We are justified in Christ (Gal. 2:17).  We are sanctified in Christ (1 Cor. 1:2; 6:11).  We are saints in Christ Jesus (Eph. 1:1; Phil. 1:1).  There is no condemnation for those in Christ (Rom. 8:1).  Christ also is IN us (Rom. 8:9,10) by the Spirit who adopts us as His children.  So we are enveloped within and without by Christ.  We are united in Him by our union in Him.  We are connected, tied, bound, covenant-promised to be His and He ours.  We shall be His people and He shall be our God.  This is adoption- we are united to Him.
    The problem is we do not live like this.  We live like we are distanced from Him, and He does not care for us.  We live like He is so transcendent, but He is immanent to those who are bound to Him in faith.  He is a part of us, and we are a part of Him.  There is a oneness in Christ- to which words like adoption and union can only hint.  We should try to live in the oneness of Christ. 

Prayer: God be in my head and in my understanding:
God be in my eyes and in my looking:
God be in my mouth and in my speaking:
God be in my heart and in my thinking:
God be at mine end and at my departing.





No comments:

Post a Comment