Friday, November 9, 2012

11/9/12- The Word as Truth


‎31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:31-32)

Thoughts: 
When I think about this verse I think about what the secular/pagan governor Pilate said, "What is truth?" Truth is not found in feelings, or politics, or by how much money or success you have. Truth is based in reality- and the God who made reality is the ultimate Truth. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life." The Bible gives us confidence and assurance in the truth- pointing to the ultimate truth in God Himself. When we have confidence and hope- it sets us free from being pushed back and forth by our circumstances- (whether the stock market is up/down; whether our candidate or team wins; whether we have calm seas or storms).

Prayer: Give me confidence in your truth, O Lord. 

This is the 40th day of devotionals!!! We made it. Perhaps reading these has helped you. Pastor Rick Warren will continue to email- if you subsctibed- by giving you "Daily Hope" his daily devotional (http://www.purposedriven.com/). Or you may look at my daily devotiona- http://dailybelief.blogspot.com/.
One of the devotional methods we studied this week is to "Personalize it" that is to put your name in the verse. So, for example we might say of this verse: " [Your Name] will know the truth and truth will set [Your Name] free. Another method would be to pray it. In this case we would say, "Lord, today as I read your Word, help me to know the truth and be set free." These are simple things we can do to help us think about what we are reading and apply God's Word to us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment