Monday, June 10, 2013

6/10/13- Finding the :"Right" Church

To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be his holy people, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours.

Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.


14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. (John 10:14-16)


Thoughts: How do you find the "right" church.  The average American moves every 2.5 years (this was somewhat slowed by the Great Recession- but is picking up again).  When you move to a new home and are looking for a church home, what do you look for?  A denominational name? Good music?  A good preacher?  A beautiful building?  A church just like my "old" church with a preacher just like my "old" preacher?  A great nursery?  A great youth program?  A mission-oriented church?  I believe in our day all these things are fickle.  We live in a post-denominational time in which there are more non-denominational churches than old-line denominational churches.  Even denominational churches vary widely between high and low churches and evangelical and progressive churches- with the possible exception of Roman Catholic and Greek Orthodox.  Musicians and preachers come and go- and some churches live and die by the preacher and the musicians.  In our consumer oriented society- we often ask "what's in it for me and my family?" So the nursery, size of the youth group, children's ministry, or people my age is the question.  In the early church and in some countries where there are few churches- they are just looking for a Christian church period.  In our day in America we have the luxury of sorting through.  Sometimes the sorting is also a pruning for the churches.  The churches who do not adapt well are pruned out.  The churches who try to listen to both the Lord and providence- what is going on around them- are more likely to survive.
     So this week we'll be looking at this. When we become believers we are part of the Church- the Church that God sees.  He sees all those who believe in Him.  This is what Augustine of Hippo and many after him call the "invisible church."  This invisible church has a special fellowship or mystical communion- that is mentioned in the Apostles' Creed's phrase "communion of the saints."  The invisible church includes those who believe who are in heaven now as well as those who believe on the whole earth.
      The problem is that the visible church- sometimes better than others- reflects this invisible church.  The most important thing is not the entertainment package of a church, but the obedience of the church.  Is the church you are looking for listening to God?   This has to do with the reformation idea of the "marks" of the Church.  How do you identify or "mark" a good church is important. We should not assume that all churches are good or that all churches in one particular denomination are "bad."  The main question is whether we are "listening to His voice."  For where the church is truly listening to God intently- there the Holy Spirit will be giving life and moving.  


Prayer: Lord, give me grace to listen to your voice.  Help me to seek and find you more in a true and listening church. 






(Line outside Westminster Abbey)


No comments:

Post a Comment