Monday, June 24, 2013

6/25/13- The Apostolic Church

Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your mighty acts to all who are to come.(Ps. 71:18)

I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the traditions just as I passed them on to you. 23 For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” (1 Corinthians 11:2,23-24)

I believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church. (Nicene Creed)

Thoughts: The church is apostolic in the sense that it shares the same faith as the apostles.  It is not apostolic in that it is ruled by an apostle of his direct successor any more than the Apostles' Creed had to be written by each of the 12 who followed Christ.  As the Creed is apostolic in the sense that it shares the faith of the apostles, the Church is apostolic in the sense that it shares the faith and practice of the apostles.
    There have been some who try to maintain the church is apostolic by a succession of bishops or ordination/laying on of hands going back to the apostles.  But it is not an organizational or institutional succession that counts, but a succession of faith and obedience that counts.  True apostolicity is found in that we, like the apostles, follow the living Lord.
    If it is the obedience and faith that is more important than the institution or organization, then we, like Paul above, need to make sure we pass the faith on properly.  We are called to "tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord."  One generation needs to commend the Lord's works to the next generation.  It is vitally important to tradition the faith- to pass on to the next group.  The baton is always in danger of being dropped, and the church is always one generation away from extinction if we do not do our duty.  The church continues to do in the steps of the apostles because someone has told us the story and we have responded in faith and obedience. 


Prayer: Give me grace to pass on the faith that was passed on to me, Lord. 

Father reading Bible to his children



No comments:

Post a Comment