Sunday, October 20, 2013

10-21-13- Prayers of Martin Luther

Sermon from Sunday 10-20-13 "Not Re-Inventing the Prayer Wheel" by Dr. Sloan 10-20-13


A Month in Prayer
Praying the Prayers of the Reformation and the Reformers October 21


Praying the Prayers of the Reformation and Reformers.

The following prayers are by people who reformed the church and thereby the world.
Most are from our own Reformed tradition, but not all.
We start with Martin Luther,
founder of the Protestant Reformation.

Then John Calvin and John Knox,
the pillars of our Presbyterian faith follow.

Next follow three lesser known Reformed figures
and on the next day, we will use the term reformed more loosely adding two saints from Methodism.

All of these Reformers stressed the importance of prayer
and the need to make it a regular discipline.
***********************************


A Month in Prayer
Praying the Prayers of the Reformation and the Reformers  October 21

 Martin Luther (1483-1546)

On October 1517, Martin Luther, a monk and professor of theology, nailed his 95 Thesis to the church door of Wittenburg and changed Christianity forever. Luther differed from the Roman Catholic Church  on three major issues. 

These three issues became known as the “three solas” of the Protestant Reformation. Sola is a Latin word meaning “alone.”

1) Sola Scripture assured that Scripture alone – not church tradition – was the only source of authority in the church.
2)Sola Fide or faith alone meant that we are saved by faith in Christ. Salvation is not earned.
3)  Sola Gratia asserts that grace alone offers salvation.
It is a gift from God.
Our good works are a grateful response to this unmerited gift.


The following statement, is attributed to Luther, though not found in his writings. If he did not say exactly these words, they certainly reflect his theology of prayer. “I have so much to do that if I didn’t spend at least three hours a day in prayer I would never get it all done.”

Today we will pray Luther’s prayers including
his Morning and Evening Prayers.

Martin Luther (1483-1546)

Behold, Lord, an empty vessel that needs to be filled.
My Lord, fill it.
I am weak in the faith; strengthen me.
I am cold in love; warm me and make me fervent,
that my love may go out to my neighbor.
I do not have a strong and firm faith;
at times I doubt and am unable to trust you altogether.
 O Lord, help me. Strengthen my faith and trust in you.
In you I have sealed the treasure of all I have.
I am poor; you are rich
and came to be merciful to the poor.
I am a sinner; you are upright.
With me, there is an abundance of sin;
in you is the fullness of righteousness.
Therefore I will remain with you,
of whom I can receive,
but to whom I may not give.
Amen.

Martin Luther (1483-1546)
Morning Prayer

In the name of the Father
and of the Son
and of the Holy Spirit.  Amen.

I thank you, my heavenly Father,
through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son,
that You have kept me this night
from all harm and danger;
and I pray that You would keep me this day
also from sin and every evil,
that all my doings and life may please You. 
For into Your hands I commend myself,
my body and soul, and all things. 
Let Your holy angel be with me,
that the evil foe may have no power over me. 
Amen.
                                                                                                                                                     
Martin Luther (1483-1546)
Evening Prayer

In the name of the Father
and of the Son
and of the Holy Spirit.  Amen.

I thank you, my heavenly Father,
through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son,
that You have graciously kept me this day;
and I pray that You would forgive me all my sins where I have done wrong,
and graciously keep me this night. 
For into Your hands, I commend myself,
my body and soul, and all things. 
Let Your holy angel be with me,
that the evil foe may have no power over me. 
Amen.




October 21 – Martin Luther (1483-1546)

On October 1517, Martin Luther, a monk and professor of theology, nailed his 95 Thesis to the church door of Wittenburg and changed Christianity forever. Luther was upset that a friar named Tetzel was selling indulgences, a pardon from punishment for sins committed by oneself or others. Tetzel was raising money to build the Sistine Chapel. However, it soon became clear that Luther differed from the Roman Catholic Church on three major issues.  These three issues became known as the “three solas” of the Protestant Reformation.  Sola is a Latin word meaning “alone.” Sola Scripture assured that Scripture alone – not church tradition – was the only source of authority in the church. Sola fide or faith alone meant that we are saved by faith in Christ. Salvation is not earned. Sola gratia asserts that grace alone offers salvation. It is a gift from God. Our good works are a grateful response to this unmerited gift.


Luther’s father was determined that he should become a lawyer and Martin received a good education. But he angered his father by becoming a monk instead. Luther attributed his decision to being almost struck by lightning when caught in a thunderstorm.  He was terrified of death and divine judgment cried out, "Help! Saint Anna, I will become a monk!" Luther viewed this cry as a vow he could not break and he dedicated himself to monastic life, devoting himself to fasting, long hours in prayer, pilgrimage, and frequent confession. He would later remark, "If anyone could have gained heaven as a monk, then I would certainly have done so.” But he was in deep spiritual despair. He said, "I lost touch with Christ the Savior and Comforter, and made of him the jailer and hangman of my poor soul."  As Luther struggled to feel secure in his salvation, he found comfort in the book of Romans with its emphasis on Divine grace. His challenge of Tetzel exposed the greater issues he had with the Roman Catholic Church. In 1520 the pope insisted that Luther recant all his writings and in 1521 Luther was summoned before the Holy Roman Emperor at the Diet of Worms. Luther was once again asked to recant his writings. His response was, “… I am bound by the Scriptures I have quoted and my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and will not recant anything, since it is neither safe nor right to go against conscience. May God help me. Amen.He was excommunicated, pronounced an outlaw, and anyone could kill him without suffering punishment. But another German ruler, Fredrick III, protected him. Christianity in the west broke into Protestant and Catholic branches. Luther translated the Bible into German, wrote extensively, and wrote several hymns that helped the development of singing in churches. His happy marriage to Katharina von Bora, a former nun, set a model for allowing Protestant clergy to marry.

No comments:

Post a Comment