Tuesday, December 31, 2013

1/1/14- John the Baptist and the coming of Christ

15 (John testified concerning him. He cried out, saying, “This is the one I spoke about when I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’”)...29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is the one I meant when I said, ‘A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’ 31 I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel.”
32 Then John gave this testimony: “I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. 33 And I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 I have seen and I testify that this is God’s Chosen One.” (John 1)

‘I am not the Messiah but am sent ahead of him.’ 29 The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom’s voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. 30 He must become greater; I must become less.” (Jn. 3:29,30)

Thoughts: Jesus and John the Baptist were close (probably second) cousins.  They needed no reintroduction when Jesus came to be baptized by John.  Mary visited Elizabeth when they were both pregnant.  John the Baptist in utero lept for joy.  It was an early sign that a little child will lead us.
     One of the truly amazing things is the humility lifted up at Christmas.  Jesus was born to a poor family, and placed in a manger.  But John humbles himself below Jesus- pointing his disciples to Jesus, and willing to give up his popularity in order for Jesus to be well known.  Jesus' coming to earth was made clearer and his ministry was propelled by John's pointing away from himself to Jesus.  John knew something we will all realize one day- that we will all humble ourselves before God, and that we are placed on earth to glorify God more than ourselves. 
   In our self-absorbed, what's-in-it-for-me, selfie driven world, we could learn a lesson from the humility of both Jesus and John the Baptist.  On this first day of the year, let us enter into the new year with humility and listening ears- keeping our eyes on Jesus. 

Prayer: Lord, may I decrease and may you increase.  

(Infant Jesus and Infant John the Baptist by Bartolome Esteban Murillo d. 1682). 

No comments:

Post a Comment