Monday, December 2, 2013

12-3-13 Elizabeth- Mother of John the Baptist

39 At that time Mary got ready and hurried to a town in the hill country of Judea, 40 where she entered Zechariah’s home and greeted Elizabeth. 41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42 In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! 43 But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 45 Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!” (Luke 1:39-45)

Thoughts: There are 1.5 million people in America alone named Elizabeth.  Elizabeth means "promise of my God."  Elizabeth was given hope and a promise in her old age.  She was Mary's cousin, and was told that she would bear the forerunner of the Messiah, John the Baptist.  She was probably the first human to bless the Messiah within Mary's womb (though we could count the leaping of John in the womb as a type of blessing).  Elizabeth was of a priestly line- which also speaks of Mary's blood.
   
Soliloquy:  If Elizabeth were alive and asked how she felt about the Messiah's coming.
    I am so very excited that God has allowed me to live to have my own child, and even on top of that to see the birth of the promised Messiah!  I have waited for so long.  It is a wonder to me to think that the anointed One would be born of my own cousin, and I would be able to have her (and him-in the womb) in my own house.  I could not help but exclaiming so everyone could here- "Blessed are you (Mary) and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus."  To be there and to take part in the story is truly one of the greatest blessings of any life every lived.
       I would not be human if I didn't say that I am nervous about having a baby in my old age.  So many die in child birth and I do not have the youth and energy of some.  I am nervous about our raising our child in our old age and seeing him grow up.  It is such a hard time for children to grow up.  There are pagan influences from the Romans and Herodians- with immorality and false beliefs.  Faith seems so cold, harsh, and legalistic in many.  There is so much killing and brutality.  But I know the God who gave me this baby will help raise him up.  I claim the promise, "Train up a child in the way they should go and when they are old they will not depart from it" (Prov. 22:6).  Lord, bless my child and the child of my cousin Mary.

Prayer: Lord, take my life and use me to be a blessing to your people as Elizabeth was a blessing to Mary and all who would believe.

Elizabeth and Mary greeting each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment