Monday, January 27, 2014

1/28/14- Christ's Conversation with a Woman in Need John 4:15-20

15The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water so that I won’t get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water.”
16He told her, “Go, call your husband and come back.”
17“I have no husband,” she replied.
Jesus said to her, “You are right when you say you have no husband. 18The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have just said is quite true.”
19“Sir,” the woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet. 20Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.”  (John 4:15-20)

Thoughts: The woman was tired.  It was obvious.  "Give me this water so I won't have to keep on coming here."  She was tired of drawing water.  She was tired of her life.  Jesus knew the root of her tiredness was not walking to the well each day, but her inner weariness.
    I am reminded of how many tired people there are in our society.  So many are tired of working, and others are afraid to get on the treadmill - scared to try.  Many in our world are anxious and depressed from either working too hard or being afraid of measuring up.  Jesus is saying to the woman and to us, "Come to me all you who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest to your souls." 
The woman was not only tired, she was uncomfortable and did not want to talk about the heart of the matter.  She kept changing the subject.  First- you are Jewish and I am Samaritan (we are different culturally); Second- "Are you greater than our father Jacob?" (we are different in following leaders);  Third- we worship here and you worship there (we are different in our religion).
     Jesus kept bringing her back to the heart of the matter: 1) What will satisfy; 2) Her relationship with her significant other; 3) Her relationship to God.
       This is an example of evangelism, psychology, and sharing love.  It began with asking a favor that he probably could have answered himself.  

Prayer: Help me to thirst for you and find my refreshment in you.  Help me to give myself to you who knows my deepest need and hope.  

(Peter de Grebber 1635)


     

No comments:

Post a Comment