Wednesday, January 29, 2014

1/30/14- Jesus Claims to be Messiah

25The woman said, “I know that Messiah” (called Christ) “is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.”
26Then Jesus declared, “I, the one speaking to you—I am he.” (John 4:25,26)

Thoughts: This is the first time Jesus openly, without hint or poetry claimed to be the Messiah.  He made this claim not to a king, or a priest, but to a Samaritan woman outcast.  She was trying to understand and wondered about Jesus' authority to explain all this.  Jesus needed to speak plainly or lose her ear to listen to him.  It is an amazing claim.  He was claiming to be the One that both the Jews and Samaritans had been waiting on for thousands of years- the Anointed One.  He claimed to be the one who could explain, who could give definitive answers.  Earlier in John Jesus claimed to be the One from heaven who could explain heavenly things.  Even today, when we listen to Jesus' teachings life makes sense.  

Prayer: Lord, give me ears to hear you speaking to my heart.  Help me to trust the answers you give, and to follow in your way.  


No comments:

Post a Comment