Thursday, February 1, 2018

Sacrifice for Peace

1Now Joseph gave these instructions to the steward of his house: “Fill the men’s sacks with as much food as they can carry, and put each man’s silver in the mouth of his sack. 2Then put my cup, the silver one, in the mouth of the youngest one’s sack, along with the silver for his grain.” And he did as Joseph said....
10“Very well, then,” he said, “let it be as you say. Whoever is found to have it will become my slave; the rest of you will be free from blame.”
11Each of them quickly lowered his sack to the ground and opened it. 12Then the steward proceeded to search, beginning with the oldest and ending with the youngest. And the cup was found in Benjamin’s sack. 13At this, they tore their clothes. Then they all loaded their donkeys and returned to the city.
14Joseph was still in the house when Judah and his brothers came in, and they threw themselves to the ground before him. 15Joseph said to them, “What is this you have done? Don’t you know that a man like me can find things out by divination?”
16“What can we say to my lord?” Judah replied. “What can we say? How can we prove our innocence? God has uncovered your servants’ guilt. We are now my lord’s slaves—we ourselves and the one who was found to have the cup.”
30“So now, if the boy is not with us when I go back to your servant my father, and if my father, whose life is closely bound up with the boy’s life, 31sees that the boy isn’t there, he will die. Your servants will bring the gray head of our father down to the grave in sorrow. 32Your servant guaranteed the boy’s safety to my father. I said, ‘If I do not bring him back to you, I will bear the blame before you, my father, all my life!’
33“Now then, please let your servant remain here as my lord’s slave in place of the boy, and let the boy return with his brothers. 34How can I go back to my father if the boy is not with me? No! Do not let me see the misery that would come on my father.” (Genesis 44)

Thoughts: Joseph planned for Benjamin to be arrested., to see what the brothers would do- if they had really changed.  When he was arrested, instead of deserting him, they all came back and Judah offered to take Benjamin's place.  He was willing to be a slave rather than go back without Benjamin. He sacrificed his peace for Benjamin and his father's peace.  It was right after this that Joseph revealed himself and the family was saved and  reconciled. 
      Of course Jesus was willing to sacrifice himself for us to make peace with God.  Peace cannot come without at least a willingness for payment and the swallowing up of debt, pain, and sin.  When true forgiveness occurs- someone has to swallow pride and be willing to sacrifice themselves.  Our calling is not to have our rights.  Our calling is to do all we can to make peace with God and others.  

Prayer:  Lord, give me grace to have peace in my life.  Let me follow in the steps of Judah who was willing to give himself for  his brother.  Let me follow in the steps of Christ who gave Himself for us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment