Wednesday, January 31, 2018

The Substitute Brother

1Now the famine was still severe in the land. 2So when they had eaten all the grain they had brought from Egypt, their father said to them, “Go back and buy us a little more food.”
3But Judah said to him, “The man warned us solemnly, ‘You will not see my face again unless your brother is with you.’ 4If you will send our brother along with us, we will go down and buy food for you. 5But if you will not send him, we will not go down, because the man said to us, ‘You will not see my face again unless your brother is with you.’ ”...
8Then Judah said to Israel his father, “Send the boy along with me and we will go at once, so that we and you and our children may live and not die. 9I myself will guarantee his safety; you can hold me personally responsible for him. If I do not bring him back to you and set him here before you, I will bear the blame before you all my life. 10As it is, if we had not delayed, we could have gone and returned twice.” (Genesis 43:1-5, 8-10)

Thoughts: This was a huge passing of the test for the brothers.  Judah, whose name meant "Praise the Lord" and through whom the Savior Jesus would come, played the role of substituting himself for the safety of the new-favorite son, Benjamin.  He would guarantee his safety- willing to risk his own life to protect him.  This is the opposite of what the brothers did against Joseph.
     This is a foreshadowing of what Jesus Christ does for us.  He steps into guarantee our safety- our life- at risk to His own.  He was willing to put Himself at risk for us.  We are grateful for His love and grace not only spoken for us, but fulfilled for us in His death on the cross.  

Prayer: Lord, as you have been gracious to me, help me to be gracious to others.  


No comments:

Post a Comment