Saturday, July 21, 2018

Jeremiah's Call

4The word of the Lord came to me, saying,
5“Before I formed you in the womb I knewa you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
6“Alas, Sovereign Lord,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am too young.”
7But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am too young.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. 8Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the Lord.
9Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, “I have put my words in your mouth. 10See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant.” (Jeremiah 1) 

Thoughts: God knows us before we are ever born.  He has a plan for us- not just for Jeremiah.  But Jeremiah doubted his ability to answer his call.  We see a little argument going on.
    First Jeremiah says he is too young.  God says to not be afraid because he is young.  God will be with him and will rescue him.  He did. 
     Then God touched his mouth and it was all over.  His message was a warning and a beacon to the nations.  Indeed, Jeremiah's message was one of the destruction of Judah and its Temple.  But he also built up- he forecast they would come back to the land in 70 years.  God has a call for each one of us.  To answer that call is the most important things we can do in this life.  

Prayer; Lord, give me grace to answer your call no matter what age.  




No comments:

Post a Comment