Friday, February 28, 2014

3/1/14- Jesus' Testimony True

13The Pharisees challenged him, “Here you are, appearing as your own witness; your testimony is not valid.”
14Jesus answered, “Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going. 15You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one. 16But if I do judge, my decisions are true, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me. 17In your own Law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is true. 18I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me.”
19Then they asked him, “Where is your father?”
“You do not know me or my Father,” Jesus replied. “If you knew me, you would know my Father also.” 20He spoke these words while teaching in the temple courts near the place where the offerings were put. Yet no one seized him, because his hour had not yet come. (John 8:13-20)

Thoughts: For the third time in the Gospel of John so far, Jesus is accused of not having authority to make his own testimony true.  But there is no greater testimony that God Himself or His dwelling place from which Jesus came.  The Father was His testimony- not only in the voice at Jesus' baptism and transfiguration, but through His answered prayers, miracles, and ultimately raising Christ from the dead as a sure sign that He is at work confirming Jesus' testimony about Himself.  The Maker of the Universe is the highest power, knowledge, and truth there is to swear by.
     There are several times in John when Jesus says if one knows the Father, one knows the Son and vice versa.  Jesus did not judge (as we saw in 8:1-11).  Yet He is being judged by his limited and twisted opponents. Jesus is able to be the judge because the Father enabled him to do so.  In the end, when people accuse us of not knowing what we talk about, or not having a valid argument, we must stand close to the Father and rely on His testimony.  

Prayer:  Let me rely on you, Lord.  You bear witness that your Gospel is at work in me and true.  

No comments:

Post a Comment