Monday, January 4, 2016

1-4-16 Jeremiah's Call

4The word of the Lord came to me, saying,
5“Before I formed you in the womb I knewa you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
6“Alas, Sovereign Lord,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am too young.”
7But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am too young.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. 8Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the Lord.
9Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, “I have put my words in your mouth. 10See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant.” (Jeremiah 1:4-9)

Thoughts: It is too easy to say that Jeremiah was a special person and we can learn nothing from this call.  I believe we can learn many things that apply to us. 
1) God knows us before we were ever born.  He has a plan and we are a part of it.
      2) God cares about his people, but also "the nations."  God cares.
      3) When God calls, He doesn't care how strong/weak, young/old we are.  He can equip us, and often does despite our weakness.
       4) Our call is to do the Lord's bidding upon our lives (vs. 7).  We do not simply do what is comfortable.
       5) We do not need to be afraid of those who oppose God and thus oppose us.  In the end, we are called to do God's good wishes (as good) and respect His greater (greatest) power.
        6) Sometimes God's plan (vs 6) is to tear down so that things can be planted again.  There is a time when reformation will not work- and only transformation will work.  

God often uses young people, in their enthusiasm and energy, to make a difference in the life of the world and the church.  It is a mistake to think that young people can only be controlled by their hormones and that they cannot be a force for good and for God.  A single young person, on fire for God, answering God's call, can make a huge difference. 

Prayer: Lord, do it again.  Raise up young people to answer your call and do your work.  But Lord, raise me up to play a role in your work as well.  


No comments:

Post a Comment