Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Listening to Get Well

 6When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him, “Do you want to get well?”
7“Sir,” the invalid replied, “I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me.”
8Then Jesus said to him, “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.” 9At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked. (John 5)

Thoughts: Some listen to their own ruts.  We can get into our mind what is impossible.  So Jesus asked this man "Do you want to get well?"  His reply was basically, "I can't."  His reply was basically, "Even if the miracle would hold true, I couldn't get down to take part into it."
      For many, they are caught into the rut of sin.  They don't believe they can get well.  But Jesus asks us, "Do you want to get well?"  If we know we are sick- whether it is sick physically, mentally, socially, or spiritually- the question is not how to cope with the rut of our sickness, but do we want to get well.  True religion is not about coping, but about healing.  The standard is not just a little better- but the best we can be.
       The next step was to listen to Jesus' command.  He said to the lame man to "pick up your mat and walk."  He didn't believe he could, unless he listened to the voice of the Messiah.  If we listen, trust the words of the Messiah, we can do more than we can ask or imagine. 

Prayer: Lord, let me listen to your voice and keep me from only hearing the voices of low expectations and despair.  My hope is in you, O Lord.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment