Sunday, March 17, 2019

A Lesson from Patrick

I arise today through
God's strength to pilot me, God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me, God's eye to see before me,
God's ear to hear me, God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me, God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to protect me, God's host to secure me – 
against snares of devils,
against temptations and vices,
against inclinations of nature,
against everyone who shall wish me
ill, afar and anear,
alone and in a crowd...
Christ, be with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ where I lie, Christ where I sit,
Christ where I arise, Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me, Christ in every ear that hears me.
Salvation is of the Lord.
Salvation is of the Lord.
Salvation is of the Christ.
May your salvation, O Lord, be ever with us.  (Patrick's Breastplate Prayer- summary)

The Lord will watch over your going in and your coming out from this time and forevermore.  (Ps. 121)

6After the Holy Spirit prevented them from speaking the word in the province of Asia, they traveled through the region of Phrygia and Galatia. 7And when they came to the border of Mysia, they tried to enter Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus would not permit them. 8So they passed by Mysia and went down to Troas.
9During the night, Paul had a vision of a man of Macedonia standing and pleading with him, “Come over to Macedonia and help us.” 10As soon as Paul had seen the vision, we got ready to leave for Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them.  (Acts 16:6-10)

Thoughts: Patrick's story was amazing.  He had been kidnapped by pirates, taken as a slave for six years, then escaped back home.  That should have been the end of his adventures.  But he had a vision of the Irish speaking to him asking him to "come and walk amongst us."  This is similar to Paul's vision to come to Europe for the first time with the Gospel.  He went back to those who enslaved him as a missionary. At the end someone said, "When Patrick came there were no Christians, when he left there were no pagans."  He was a missionary to the people in the neighboring country.  We should care about people in the next area from ours - that they too will have to gospel. Patrick risked everything to go back, and he faced fierce opposition.  But he had such a heart that these people living in darkness would see the light of Christ.  He baptized thousands, spoke boldly, built monasteries all ove.  

Prayer: Lord, protect me so that i might make a difference in my life for eternity in the lives of others.  

No comments:

Post a Comment