Thursday, September 24, 2020

Short History on Being in Isolation

 

Day 2) Leviticus 13:46- “As long as they have the disease they must live outside the camp.”

Isolation in times of plague has been going on for millennia.  The Egyptians did it.  The Sumerians did it.  The phrase “outside the camp” comes from Leviticus and Exodus where a person who was sick had to stay away from the protection of the camp if they were sick.  My point is that we should not feel alone, or that this has never happened before. 
In 1665 a tailor Eyam, England died of the Great Plague carried from fleas packed in cotton that came from London.  Immediately everyone wanted to leave the village.  The village rector, William Mompesson, persuaded the people to stay in the town and not to spread the plague to another city or place.  The people quarantined themselves to keep from spreading the plague.  260 died, but many lived and kept the plague from spreading.  They risked themselves for a larger good and are to be commended for that. 

Prayer: Lord, bless me and keep me.  Make your face shine upon me and be gracious unto me.  Lift up your countenance upon me and give me peace.

Eyam Church and grave.  


No comments:

Post a Comment