Tuesday, October 6, 2020

High Noon- Do Not Forsake Me

 

Day 8) Psalm 22:1,2; Matthew 27:45 “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?” 
My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?  Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning?  O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night and am not silent.

Thoughts: Jesus quoted much from the Old Testament in the midst of His trail and crucifixion.  Christ quoted from David who was crying out to God for help, but there was no answer.  There are times when the “Dark Night of the Soul” comes upon us.  It appears God has deserted us.  Some at this point, desert God.  But as in David’s case and Jesus’ case, God did not truly leave.  Instead He came at the proper time and lifted David back up, and raised Christ from the dead.  He is able to lift us up as well. 
    Yet this time of God-forsakenness is like going through the valley of the shadow of death.  There is hopelessness all around.  Even God seems to have left.
     One of my favorite movies of all time is a black and white western called “High Noon.”  The theme song is “Do not forsake me O My Darlin.”  The story is of a sheriff who gets married and finds out his sworn enemy has been released from prison and his gang is coming to kill him and take back over the town.  His wife leaves.  The whole town leaves.  His assistants leave.  He has to face this terrible gang by himself.  In the end people come back in time to help him.  But he has to get the courage to “wait alone.”  We too must have courage to face our isolation and trials. 
     Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton and Dwight Eisenhower saw this as one of their favorite films because of his Will Kane's (played by Gary Cooper) willingness as a marshal to stand up for what is right even if he were all alone.   The old saying goes God +1 makes the greatest majority.  If you feel you are the only one left standing up for what is right and that all have seemingly deserted you, take courage.  


High Noon- with Gary Cooper all alone and seemingly deserted (1952)


No comments:

Post a Comment