Saturday, September 16, 2023

Jacob and Esau and Lessons in Hospitality

 29Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished. 30He said to Jacob, “Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I’m famished!” (That is why he was also called Edom. )31Jacob replied, “First sell me your birthright.”32“Look, I am about to die,” Esau said. “What good is the birthright to me?”33But Jacob said, “Swear to me first.” So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob.34Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left.  So Esau despised his birthright. (Gen. 25) 
41Esau held a grudge against Jacob because of the blessing his father had given him. He said to himself, “The days of mourning for my father are near; then I will kill my brother Jacob.”42When Rebekah was told what her older son Esau had said, she sent for her younger son Jacob and said to him, “Your brother Esau is planning to avenge himself by killing you. 43Now then, my son, do what I say: Flee at once to my brother Laban in Harran. (Gen. 27)

[After Jacob came back to Palestine after exile] 9But Esau said, “I already have plenty, my brother. Keep what you have for yourself.”10“No, please!” said Jacob. “If I have found favor in your eyes, accept this gift from me. For to see your face is like seeing the face of God, now that you have received me favorably. 11Please accept the present that was brought to you, for God has been gracious to me and I have all I need.” And because Jacob insisted, Esau accepted it. (Gen. 33)

Thoughts: This is a tale of two brothers who competed with each other, one deceived the other- which led to a threat of murder- and self-imposed exile, but then in the end both brothers reconcile- realizing they both have enough. 
      Jacob and Esau were twins born in competition with Jacob grasping the heal of Esau.  Esau let his stomach rule over his birthright and Jacob was deceptive enough to ask for it in his brother's time of need.  Instead of helping his brother in his time of need, Jacob took advantage of Esau's need.  This is the opposite of hospitality, and fostered ill will between them.  
         Then, instead of apologizing and reconciling, Jacob (prompted by his mother who chose sides) disguised himself to his blind father to steal his blessing.  Again, stealing is the opposite of hospitality.  Of course, God can use human sin to achieve His will.  Jacob was the patriarch of Israel and Esau of Edom.  
         In the end, when Jacob came back to the Promised Land,  and they were reconciled because they both had enough and time healed their competition.   Sometimes, stepping away in time and space can bring healing. 
          Sibling rivalry is a strong force against kindness and hospitality.  But wanting the favor of one parent or another can take away the favor of our heavenly Father.  Look for ways to be hospitable toward those in your family today- not for yourself- but for the glory of God. 

Prayer: Lord, let me not elevate the desire for things over the desire for brotherly/sisterly love.  Let me also not let anything get in the way of love for your glory.  

Tissot 1896-1902 Jacob and Esau


No comments:

Post a Comment