Thursday, May 24, 2012

5/24/12- Perseverance in Love

 I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength. (Phil. 4:12-14)

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  (James 1:2-4) 



Thoughts: Today is my 32nd wedding anniversary.  Looking back, I can see God's hand leading us through thick and thin- keeping us together.  It is a combination of love and perseverance that has brought us contentment and joy.  We've been through three seminaries, seven moves, three children, eleven hospital stays, detached retina, cancer, some really lean times when we wondered what we would eat- and some really fat times when we were sitting on top of the world.  Kay has put up with a ton and has partnered with me the whole way. There were tremendous romantic times and other times when we had to swallow our pride just to stay together. But we called on God in both, and He has sustained us.
     Perhaps this is how it should be with God and His bride- and our relationship to both.  There are times when God and the church inspire, encourage, uphold, help, strengthen, and infuse grace into us. But there are other times when we may feel abandoned, alone, far away.  But a relationship with God and His Church- like any relationship requires a growing love and perseverance.  If we persevere through the trials- we will find maturity and contentment at the end- and joy in the journey.  Pilgrim's Progress is a great book that reminds us that our pilgrimage here will have ups and downs- but faithfulness in love and perseverance are a key.
    Looking back over the years- I am so glad that Kay and I are together.  There is a deep joy and contentment in our relationship.  It is the same with our relationship with God.  


Prayer: God grant me a growing love for your and a perseverance that enables me to find contentment through the trials- being well fed or hungry; plenty or went; sickness or health.  

Q. 36. What benefits in this life accompany or derive from justification, adoption, and sanctification?
A. The benefits that in this life accompany or derive from justification, adoption, and sanctification are: the assurance of God’s love, peace of conscience, joy in the Holy Spirit, and growing and persevering in grace to the end of our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment