Thursday, May 24, 2012

5/25/12- Going Home

How lovely is your dwelling place, 
    Lord Almighty!
My soul yearns, even faints,
    for the courts of the Lord;
my heart and my flesh cry out
    for the living God. 
Even the sparrow has found a home,
    and the swallow a nest for herself,
    where she may have her young—
a place near your altar, 
    Lord Almighty, my King and my God. 
Blessed are those who dwell in your house;
    they are ever praising you. (Psalm 84)

 (Galloway Tartan)

    Today I am travelling with some folks from my church to another spiritual homeland.  I have been to Israel and to some of the places Paul visited in Greece, Turkey, and Italy.  But today I will be traveling to the home of my ancestors- and home of the origins of American Presbyterianism- Scotland.
     242 times the word "Home" is used in scripture.  It is a powerful word with powerful emotions attached to it.   In the pilgrim's Psalm it says, "Even the sparrow has found a home."  God has a place for us.  Our real spiritual home is found not in some physical country- but in God.  Yet the physical can point to the spiritual.  When we worship God- when we pray and sing to Him- it is like being where we were meant to be- the place of acceptance and love- home.  Jesus said, "
In my Father's house are many rooms- if it were not so I would have told you. 
I go to prepare a place for you that where I am you may be also."  So today, seek to be home with God. 

Prayer: May I find my rest, my peace, my strength, my home in you, O Lord. 

Song: Going Home. (click)


No comments:

Post a Comment