Monday, January 7, 2013

1/8/13- The Word written

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word.
10 I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.
11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. (Psalm 119:9-11)

Thoughts: The commands of God in scripture are seen as the "Word" of God.  Jesus is the living word of God.   But the Spirit inspires the written word, and illuminates the written word to make it come alive.  Language is a gift from God to communicate not only with each other, but to God.  Millions would testify that God has inspired them, encouraged them, led them, guided them, helped them, comforted them, strengthened them, rebuked and straightened them, and kept them- all through the Spirit speaking through the word written. 

Prayer: Lord, give me ears to hear.  Keep me from stonewalling your Spirit. Open my ears and my heart to you through your Word. 



I. God’s Word: The Authority for Our Confession
The clearest declaration of God’s glory is found in His Word,
both incarnate and written. The Son eternally proceeds from
the Father as His Word, the full expression of the Father’s
nature, and since in the incarnation the Word became flesh all
the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are offered to His disciples
The written Word grants us those treasures, proclaims
the saving gospel of Jesus Christ, and graciously teaches all that
is necessary for faith and life. We glorify God by recognizing
and receiving His authoritative self-revelation, both in
the infallible Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments
and also in the incarnation of God the Son. We affirm that
the same Holy Spirit who overshadowed the virgin Mary also
inspired the writing and preservation of the Scriptures. The
Holy Spirit testifies to the authority of God’s Word and illumines
our hearts and minds so that we might receive both the
Scriptures and Christ Himself aright.

No comments:

Post a Comment