Sunday, May 12, 2013

5/13/13- Signs of the Spirit

25 “All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (John 14:25-27)

Thoughts: On this week leading up to Pentecost and the Global Day of Prayer, it might be good to think about the purpose and importance of the Holy Spirit for us. 
    First, the word "advocate" in the NIV is variously translated as "comforter" "counselor" or "Helper."  It is literally "paraclete= the one who comes alongside to help" para (come along side) to help (kaletos).  
    It is important to see the primary way he helps us "teaching us and reminding us of Christ's words."  In other words, the Spirit continues the work of Christ by reminding us and making real to us what Christ has done.
    The next verse implies that the Spirit of God- the comforter and counselor and helper eliminates fear bringing peace.  


Prayer: Holy Spirit, comfort me in my problems and heartaches.  Counsel me in the way I should go.  Lift me up to you with your great help.  

(The Holy Spirit is like a coming wave forecasted by Christ.  It is powerful, washing, directing; if you ride the wave you will find adventure and joy).  

No comments:

Post a Comment