Thursday, July 25, 2013

7/26/13- A Covenant to Participate

42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need.46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts.  (Acts 2:42-46)

4) Will you be a faithful member of this congregation, share in its worship and ministry through your prayers and gifts, your study and service, and so fulfill your calling to be a disciple of Jesus Christ?

Thoughts: I once joined a gym but then did not go to exercise.  So it meant very little to me. If someone talked about gyms I could say, "I'm a member of a gym."  But it was in name only.  But when I rejoined later and exercised, it meant so much, and helped with my health and strength. When we join the Church it is not just so we can have our name down on some list, or please the memory of our parents, or get some insurance for life after death we are fooling ourselves.  Jesus says our faith is a matter of the heart- and exercising our faith strengthens our hearts.  Faithfulness- meaning regularity- and making worship a priority is important.  Getting ready for worship starts the night before when we go to sleep at a reasonable hour and are in good health.  The way we share in worship and ministry is through joining in the praying, the giving, growing in study and in witness.  As we take part in the church, we are His disciples.  

Prayer: Help me to exercise my faith by worship, prayer, giving, growing, and service, Lord.  Give me the strength I need to honor you.  

(Empty Gym)

No comments:

Post a Comment