Monday, January 12, 2015

1-13-14 Believing to Understand

1Then Job replied to the Lord:
2“I know that you can do all things;
no purpose of yours can be thwarted.
3You asked, ‘Who is this that obscures my plans without knowledge?’
Surely I spoke of things I did not understand,
things too wonderful for me to know.
4“You said, ‘Listen now, and I will speak;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me.’
5My ears had heard of you
but now my eyes have seen you.
6Therefore I despise myself
and repent in dust and ashes.” (Job 42:1-6)

Thoughts: To believe does not mean we will understand everything.  Job says, "I spoke of things I did not understand."  We do not understand the plans of God, and sometimes His plans thwart our best laid plans.  The more we know of God and the clearer we see Him, the more we are humbled and repentant.  The less we know of God the less we respect Him.  Unbelief keeps us from thinking the unusual is possible.  Unbelief retreats us back to thinking only what we expect may happen- the calculable.  It leaves no means for surprises and for mystery.  Belief allows for the unusual which means there is hope in the worst of circumstances, and a strength to call on when we have no strength of our own.  It also means we must bow and humble ourselves before Someone greater than ourselves.  

Prayer: I long to understand in some degree thy truth, which my heart believes and loves.  (Anselm) 

No comments:

Post a Comment