Wednesday, February 11, 2015

2-12-15- Scripture as the Word

9How can a young person stay on the path of purity?
By living according to your word.
10I seek you with all my heart;
do not let me stray from your commands.
11I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
105Your word is a lamp for my feet,
a light on my path.
106I have taken an oath and confirmed it,
that I will follow your righteous laws.
107I have suffered much;
preserve my life, Lord, according to your word.
108Accept, Lord, the willing praise of my mouth,
and teach me your laws.
109Though I constantly take my life in my hands,
I will not forget your law.
110The wicked have set a snare for me,
but I have not strayed from your precepts.
111Your statutes are my heritage forever;
they are the joy of my heart.
112My heart is set on keeping your decrees
to the very end.
113I hate double-minded people,
but I love your law.
114You are my refuge and my shield;
I have put my hope in your word.
115Away from me, you evildoers,
that I may keep the commands of my God!
116Sustain me, my God, according to your promise, and I will live;

Thoughts: Clearly the Psalmist equates the statutes- the laws of God with the Bible (Old Testament) and the Word of God  The Bible is seen as a strength, a lamp to us in darkness, a source of reliable and sustaining promises.  The Bible teaches us how to please God, be close to God, and keep our way pure.
Our task is to hide the word in our hearts (vs. 11).  This means love it   But we cannot love it or know it by heart without learning the words.  Scriptures gives us the light of God's Word as a light bulb gives us light.  The Bible is a lamp- but the essence of the word of the Lord is the light coming from the lamp.  It brings joy, hope, strength, and real help to us.  

Prayer: Lord, may I treat the scripture with respect as not only a special record but a real source of hope strength and joy for me now.  


No comments:

Post a Comment