Monday, May 4, 2015

5/5/15- Cinqo de Mayo - Freedom in Serving

23if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.
24Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church. 25I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness— 26the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the Lord’s people. 27To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. (Colossians 1:23-27)

Thoughts: The truest freedom is not found in getting the whole world and God to serve our own selfish soul.  As Augustine said, "Our hearts are restless til they find their rest in thee."  When we learn who is really Lord- who made us, who gives us direction, help, strength in life- then we have a purpose.  The word of God in fullness- the gospel- is worthy of spreading and our lives.  For a long time the clarity and full message of the good news was not known.  Now it is.  That the message is clear- that God loves us and has come to free us from sin- calls us to give ourselves to The Message and the Lord of The Message. It is in giving ourselves to the One who can set us free that we are made free indeed.
    Cinqo de Mayo is a day not about alcohol but of freedom.  But the greatest freedom is found in serving the Lord.  

Prayer: Lord, I seek to give myself to you because you have given yourself to me already.  I serve you, because you are worthy.  I serve you because in your service I find hope and freedom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment