Sunday, May 31, 2015

Heidelberg 1 & 2

24Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? 25Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! (Romans 7:24-25)

Thoughts: The Heidelberg Catechism was written as a catechism to draw people together- Lutheran and Reformed.  It was written by a preacher (Kaspar Olevianus) and a professor (Zacharias Ursinus) completed in 1562. 
   So this summer, we will be looking at some of the main concepts of this special and personal catechism.  The first two questions revolve around this verse.
     Human beings are looking for comfort.  We often look in the wrong places, for there is only one real comfort for us.  As Augustine said, "Our hearts are restless til they find their rest in Thee."  We are not our own- to do with as we wish.  Our bodies, our souls, our minds are God's.  He created us, redeemed us, and we belong to Him.  Christ paid for our sins on the cross.  There is a payment that always must be made when evil happens.  Evil exacts a price- a wage- and its wage is death (Romans 6:23).  But God has provided a way to escape the evil of our sin- and it is by coming down Himself in the person of Christ and purchasing us- ransoming us from evil- its consequences.  Evil personified (the devil) is not our focus any more.  Our focus is on the Lord who saved us.  He guards us in this life, leads us to salvation, and inspires me to change my will - so that I want to live for Him now and forever.  This is simply a beautiful and comforting verse.
    To get to this comfort we must do the three things below: 1) Be aware of my sin and the sad state of misery I am in because of it; 2) That Christ sets me free from this sad state; 3) I am to thank and glorify God for His salvation from this sin and misery.  

Prayer: Lord, be my true comfort in any and every situation.  Help me to see that and go to you for help in time of need.   

Q & A 1
Q. What is your only comfort
in life and in death?
A. That I am not my own,1
but belong—
body and soul,
in life and in death—2
to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ.3
He has fully paid for all my sins with his precious blood,4
and has set me free from the tyranny of the devil.5
He also watches over me in such a way6
that not a hair can fall from my head
without the will of my Father in heaven;7
in fact, all things must work together for my salvation.8
Because I belong to him,
Christ, by his Holy Spirit,
assures me of eternal life9
and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready
from now on to live for him.10

1 1 Cor. 6:19-202 Rom. 14:7-93 1 Cor. 3:23Titus 2:144 1 Pet. 1:18-191 John 1:7-92:25 John 8:34-36Heb. 2:14-151 John 3:1-116 John 6:39-4010:27-302 Thess. 3:31 Pet. 1:57 Matt. 10:29-31Luke 21:16-188 Rom. 8:289 Rom. 8:15-162 Cor. 1:21-225:5Eph. 1:13-1410 Rom. 8:1-17

Q & A 2
Q. What must you know to
live and die in the joy of this comfort?
A. Three things:
first, how great my sin and misery are;1
second, how I am set free from all my sins and misery;2
third, how I am to thank God for such deliverance.3



No comments:

Post a Comment