Thursday, August 13, 2015

Abraham the Friend of God

And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend. (James 2:23)

Our God, did you not drive out the inhabitants of this land before your people Israel and give it forever to the descendants of Abraham your friend? (2 Chr. 20:7)

"But you, Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, you descendants of Abraham my friend, (Isaiah 41;8) 

I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. (Jn. 15:15)

Thoughts: Abraham is the father of faith.  Jews, Muslims, and Christians are often called "Abrahamic religions." Abraham trusted in God as his friend.  God reached out to Abram. Then he reached his family- Terah, Lot, and Sarai.  When God called him he was only one man but God blessed him to make him many (Isaiah 51:2).  Abraham tells us that God cares and is his friend.  Jesus likewise cam to tell us that God is our friend and loves us.  So Jesus says that we are not called servants but friends of God too.  Just like Abraham.    

Prayer: Lord, thank you for offering us friendship and love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment