Sunday, August 16, 2015

The Fear of Isaac

22He moved on from there and dug another well, and no one quarreled over it. He named it Rehoboth,e saying, “Now the Lord has given us room and we will flourish in the land.”
23From there he went up to Beersheba. 24That night the Lord appeared to him and said, “I am the God of your father Abraham. Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bless you and will increase the number of your descendants for the sake of my servant Abraham.”
25Isaac built an altar there and called on the name of the Lord. There he pitched his tent, and there his servants dug a well. (Genesis 26)

Thoughts: Isaac's faith shown in keeping the faith of his father.  But it also shown in his willingness to not fight over those who wronged him.  He was pushed out of the city.  He was pushed away from green pastures.  He kept digging wells and others would claim the water- and water was scarce.
     God came to Isaac and promised to be with him- Immanuel.  In response Isaac called on God- trusting and praying to Him.  There he lived, and there he dug a well and found water.  Where God is, we can live.  Isaac learned to trust in God.  We can too. 

Prayer: Give me a simple, but growing faith.  Help me to trust in you, the One in whom my fathers trusted.


No comments:

Post a Comment