Saturday, January 2, 2016

1-2-15- Finding Your Start

"Everything, absolutely everything...got started in Him and finds its purpose in Him."  Colossians 1:16 MSG

Thoughts: So.... as Home Depot says in its famous ads- "Let's get started."  Getting started is the hardest part.  The reason we all know the phrase, "The longest journey begins with the first step" is that we procrastinate getting started.
       But ready or not, we start a new year.  It comes to us.  The question is, will we live our lives with purpose, with integrity, with direction- and get started- or will we just vegetate through the year- exist with no direction.
       I got a new- fangled toy for Christmas: a flashlight.  But it is no ordinary flashlight.  It has a radio built into it and a tripod. For a few nights I wanted to use it, but didn't know how to open it up and put the batteries in it.  It didn't have any directions,and I pulled and twisted it every way I could. I lost my patience and got frustrated.  How hard could it be?  I tried to google it, but the manufacturer's name wasn't on it, and "tripod radio flashlight" did not come up with my needed results.  I had to go hunt down the box that I threw away and find out how to put the batteries in it and how to operate it.  Good news- found the box and directions and the flashlight shines- its purpose is fulfilled and I can see better.
       How do we get our lives started in the right direction- and with direction?  We look to the Maker- our Maker.  We look for directions.  For millions, the Bible has given proven directions.  Do not simply look for directions from within.  Do not simply look for directions from someone who can lead you down a temporary path that will dead end.  The grass withers and the flowers fade, but the Word of God endures forever.
      We got our original start from the starter- the manufacturer.  But we also need to know how to have energy and direction to know what we should be doing and how we can do it.  Millions wander in their lives, not knowing who they are or why they are here.  If they had a sense of direction and purpose they could find their start for their longest journey.  Look to the starter.

Prayer: Before I was born, you started things.  Before I was born you knew me and had a plan for me. Give me the grace to look to you for my strength, my purpose and my hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment