Thursday, February 25, 2016

It Has Been Said... But I Tell You

Do not think I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them...whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. (Mt. 5:17,19)
You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, "Do not murder" ...But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment...anyone who says "You fool!" will be in danger of the fire of hell. (Mt. 5:21-22)
You have heard that it was said, "Do not commit adultery."  But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery in his heart. (Mt. 5:27-28)
It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.' But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress." (Mt. 5:31-32)
Again, you have heard it was said "Do not break your oath"...But I tell you do not swear at all." (5:33-34)
You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person if someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. (5:38-39)
You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."  (5:44-45)

Thoughts: Jesus did not come to abolish the Law but to fulfill it.  Jesus did not stop the Old Testament Law  but built on it.  He went further about stopping hate, stopping adultery, protecting marriage, keeping our word.  Then he went further than justice. Jesus knows that the ultimate justice is from God.  If we humble ourselves the ultimate judge will lift us up.  Turning the other cheek leaves revenge in God's hands.  Loving your enemies and praying for our persecutors does not make us a doormat.  It actually calls God's powerful, just attention to our need.  Jesus does not nullify the Law, but builds on it- going further into the heart of God's purity and love.  Over and over Jesus says, "You have heard it said, but I say."  He is asking us to listen to Him as He enhances what God has already said- making it clearer, stronger, and more meaningful for all time.

Prayer: Lord, give me ears to hear your voice.  Give me the strength to live as you would have me to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment