Saturday, February 6, 2016

Listening to the Valid Testimony

31“If I testify about myself, my testimony is not true. 32There is another who testifies in my favor, and I know that his testimony about me is true.
33“You have sent to John and he has testified to the truth. 34Not that I accept human testimony; but I mention it that you may be saved. 35John was a lamp that burned and gave light, and you chose for a time to enjoy his light.
36“I have testimony weightier than that of John. For the works that the Father has given me to finish—the very works that I am doing—testify that the Father has sent me. 37And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form, 38nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one he sent. 39You studyc the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40yet you refuse to come to me to have life.(John 5)

Thoughts: As we find out almost every election- polls can be wrong.  Yet many people would take a poll to find out what is moral or what people think about Jesus or the Bible.  These polls- these "testimonies" are not very valid.  What counts is not what the masses think but what does God the Maker of all think.
     In this passage Jesus speaks of the Spirit of truth- the Holy Spirit- and His testimony as being more important that "human testimony" (vs. 34).  Jesus also speaks of John the Baptist's testimony- who he called "the greatest born among women" (Mt. 11:11).  The works of Christ- His miracles- testified that He came from the Father.  The Father Himself testifies to Jesus through the scriptures.  Ironically, the Pharisees, scribes, and teachers of the Law diligently studied the scriptures, but they did not respond to what they said.  They were blind to what was before them.  They had ears but could not hear.  In the end, believing what the scriptures say is the key.  Jesus said as much here.  But the key is not just the testimony- and what we hear.  The key is to respond to them- and their call to come to Jesus to have eternal life.  

Prayer: Lord, give me faith to believe the scriptures are your Word that point to the Living Word of Jesus.  Give me grace to come to you to have eternal life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment