Thursday, March 31, 2016

Changing Doubt into Worship

24Now Thomas (also known as Didymusa ), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. 25So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”
But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”
26A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 27Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”
28Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”
29Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” (John 20)

Thoughts: Thomas would be a good modern non- believer.  He would not believe.  He saw Christ's death.  He knew of the nail marks and the piercing of His side.  He was devastated by the death of Jesus and did not want to be disappointed with wishful thinking.  Many today would rather doubt and be wrong than believe and be disappointed.  This is wrong-headed thinking.  Not only is Thomas steeling himself against hope.  He is also not allowing himself to find truth.
      It is no accident that Jesus came right through the locked door to a group of people who all saw Him at once.  It made His appearance not only amazing but miraculous.  The resurrection of Jesus is the greatest miracle.
      Jesus commanded them to have peace, and commanded Thomas to do things so that he would believe.  Unbelievers should also seek peace by trying to put themselves in a position to believe.  What would they have to lose?
          Thomas's response was, "My Lord and my God!"  He worshiped Jesus.
          Jesus rightly said, it is more blessed to believe without seeing than make seeing a criteria for belief.  Most today will not see all the evidence for Christ.  Some will never look- having made their mind up that the skeptics are right- and miracles just don't happen.  Faith and sight are not the same thing.  If faith is caused by sight then that is okay.  But faith without sight is strong.  Paul reminds us, "we walk by faith and not by sight" (2 Cor. 5:7). This means we don't have to touch the wounds, see the risen Christ, or audibly hear His voice to believe.  

Prayer: Lord, help me to have your peace.  Help me to recognize you not by sight but by faith. 


No comments:

Post a Comment