Thursday, March 17, 2016

Listening in Suffering

1I will bless  the Lord at all times;
his praise will always be on my lips.
2I will glory in the Lord;
let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
3Glorify the Lord with me;
let us exalt his name together.
4I sought the Lord, and he answered me;
he delivered me from all my fears. (Psalm 34) 

Thoughts: Let the afflicted hear what and rejoice?  Let the afflicted hear that I am glorifying the Lord despite what might go wrong.  In good and bad times- all times- I can find meaning and bless the Lord.
In our day, the secular west provides little ways to find meaning in suffering.  Suffering is to be avoided like bad weather- and endured like bad weather.  We have been taught that our true meaning is the pursuit of happiness- this is translated often as wanting health, wealth, and wisdom.  If any of these is taken away by sickness, bankruptcy (or fire) or something like Alzheimer's we have lost our ability to find meaning.  Perhaps in the west we work so hard at living longer- exercise, diet, and the artificial looking of youth (botox, makeup, contact/lasik,, etc because this life is seen as all we have.  With the focus only on this life, then the primary solution to suffering (apart from God) is to try to make life better for someone else coming behind us.
     Instead- the Psalmist says "let the afflicted hear and rejoice."  Let them hear that there is meaning- even in suffering.  So Paul could say, "Give thanks in all things" and "rejoice in the Lord always!"  God is still God whether in good times or bad.  There is purpose and meaning in suffering each day.  

Prayer: Lored, be close to me, and help me to find meaning in you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment