Thursday, March 24, 2016

Is It Me?

20When evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the Twelve. 21And while they were eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me.”
22They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, “Surely you don’t mean me, Lord?”
23Jesus replied, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. 24The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”
25Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, “Surely you don’t mean me, Rabbi?”
Jesus answered, “You have said so.”...
31Then Jesus told them, “This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written:
“ ‘I will strike the shepherd,
and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’c
32But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.”
33Peter replied, “Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will.”
34“Truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.”
35But Peter declared, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” And all the other disciples said the same.  (Matthew 26:20-25, 31-35) 

Thoughts: We will never fall away, much less would we run away, deny or betray our Jesus.  It is easy to make promises in His presence.  Likewise it is easy to make promises when we are in church or even reading the Bible and praying.  But when the tough times come.  When someone who opposes the faith shows up- it is easy to back down.  Faith is a strong thing, but faith is tested for its reality when it is opposed.  How gracious are we toward those who oppose us?  Do we get our backs raised up- like an old cat, or do we carefully and prayerfully listen?
     Judas betrayed Jesus. He was the treasurer.  Jesus knew ahead of time he would.  But all of the disciples wondered, "Is it I?"  In some sense it was.  They all ran away.  Peter was actually braver than most- he followed with John right up to the house of the high priest, where he was confronted.  John (18:10) indicates Peter cut off the ear of the high priest's servant- a brave thing to do.  But all of those who had seen the miracles, the walking on water, the calming of the storm, the feeding of the 5,000, the healing of the blind, the deaf, the lame; they had heard the wonderful teaching-  still ran away- leaving him alone.
      So, "Is it I?"  is a good question to ask on Maundy Thursday.  It is tonight when we remember Jesus is arrested and runs away.  It is tonight when we remember the Last Supper when Jesus predicted the betrayal, the denial, and "you will all fall away on account of me" (26:31).  When we sin, when we act as if He is unimportant or worse- we don't know Him, we are "falling away on account of Him."  We are too complacent, I believe, about our falling away. We chastise our guilt and shame away- but it is the sad wrong that we ignore. Guilt is not always a bad thing.  Wrong is always a bad thing.  The sad thing is IT IS I.  As the song says, "I crucified thee."  

Prayer: Lord, It is I.  I have run away when I should have stayed.  I have been ashamed of you when I should have been bold.  I have walked too much by sight and not enough by faith.  By your great mercy and grace forgive me.  Help me up as you helped up Peter and the disciples- that I might serve you in the power of your resurrection.  




No comments:

Post a Comment