Thursday, January 19, 2017

Rationale Behind Jesus' Baptism,

13Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”
15Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented. (Matthew 3:13-15) 

Thoughts: Jesus, as the pure and good soul he was did not need a baptism of repentance.  But he was willing to humble himself under the water as an example for us all.  Sometimes we need to do things whether we like it or not- or whether it is necessary at the heart or not.  Jesus was obedient to the idea that we need to be cleansed and we need to repent.
     Jesus submitted to John- the greater submitted to the lesser out of respect for his office as the baptizer and as a human being.  

Prayer: Lord, help me to respect others.  Help me to see the necessity of my baptism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment