Monday, January 23, 2017

Worship Matters

8Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9“All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”
10Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’e ”
11Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him. (Matthew 4:8-11)

Thoughts: Sometimes people worship because of what God can give them.  Maybe if they come to worship they will have better answers to their prayers- or even salvation for their souls.  The devil was promising everything to Jesus if Jesus would just worship the devil.  But the devil cannot give the world- only the illusions of the world.  But no matter what is promised as a reward for worship, it is not enough if it is worshiping the wrong God.  God is worthy of our worship in and of Himself.  He is the One who made all things including our own lives.  He is the One who sustains, orders, and redeems all of life.  He alone is worthy of worship.  There can only be one number One- one final cause- one unmoved mover- one true God.
      What matters in worship is not style, not the type of music, not how much gold (much or little) or liturgy is used.  What matters is that our hearts worship the one true living God as He prescribes- gathered with His people, focused on Him.  He is worthy of our time for He made time.  He is worthy of our tithes for all that we have is a gift from Him (we didn't make any of it- He blesses us). We lay our crowns and honors before Him. 

Prayer: Lord, may my heart worship you.  You alone are worthy in and of yourself.  Forgive me for wanting to manipulate you by my worship.  Help me to see my true worship of you, the true God, matters more than anything else I may do in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment