Friday, January 20, 2017

Three in One at Baptism

16As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” (Matthew 3:16-17)

Thoughts: This is one of the great passages about the Trinity.  Here you see all three persons of the godhead in one spot.  Jesus, the Son, was in the water.  The Spirit, the second person of the Trinity, descended like a dove.  The Father's voice was heard saying, "This is my Son..."  This passage totally overturns the heresy that is called "modalism" that God is Father at Creation, that the Son came for 33 years, and then the Spirit carried on the presence of God afterwards.  Instead you see the three persons at once.  God is one essence but in three persons.  The Father is not the Son- but is pleased with Him.  The Spirit is not the Son- but descends blessing on Him.  The Son is the radiance of both.  

Prayer: Lord, thank you for your love and presence in Jesus.  Thank you that Jesus is my good Lord and as I follow Him may you also be pleased with me and may your Spirit descend on me with blessing and hope.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment