Sunday, January 7, 2018

Christ our Home

Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. (John 14:23) 


1How lovely is your dwelling place,
Lord Almighty!
2My soul yearns, even faints,
for the courts of the Lord;
my heart and my flesh cry out
for the living God.
3Even the sparrow has found a home,
and the swallow a nest for herself,
where she may have her young—
a place near your altar,
Lord Almighty, my King and my God.
4Blessed are those who dwell in your house;
they are ever praising you (Psalm 84) 

Thoughts: Today I am at a place that describes itself as "The most wonderful place on earth."  It is probably close.  It is a place that provides a nice break from work and where families can have fun together.  But even a great place with fun rides, great accomodations, great service, good food and more is lacking without love.  I remember coming to Disney after a conference (had a free pass) by myself.  I rode the rides, saw the smiles, but felt kind of homesick and alone.  Going to even Disney by oneself is not nearly as nice as going with those you love.  Love makes a place a home.  As a teen my oldest daughter made a plaque that said, "Home is where your mother is."  It doesn't matter how fancy, nice, wonderful a place is without love.  I know some who own yachts that are basically empty most of the time, jets that no one rides, multiple houses that stay relatively empty.  It is love that makes a home.  My daughter made something for my wife that said, "Home is where your Mom is."
    In our passages Christ says that He will make His home with us.  He is our hearts true home.  our hearts are restless til they find their rest in Him.  
      In a few weeks I will be going from one of the most expensive places on earth with the most of everything to one of the least plentiful places (South Sudan).  The contrast is stark.  Yet there are some in South Sudan who are happier than those who have everything in America.  Peace is found when we give our hearts to Christ- and not just give Him lip service.  

Prayer: Lord, may my heart be yours.  Grant me your peace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment