Tuesday, March 13, 2012

3/14/12- Our Only Comfort

22- 3/14- HEIDELBERG 1 & 2
Q. 1. What is your only comfort, in life and in death?
A. That I belong—body and soul, in life and in death—not to myself but to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ, who at the cost of his own blood has fully paid for all my sins and has completely freed me from the dominion of the devil; that he protects me so well that without the will of my Father in heaven not a hair can fall from my head; indeed, that everything must fit his purpose for my salvation. Therefore, by his Holy Spirit, he also assures me of eternal life, and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready from now on to live for him.

Q. 2. How many things must you know that you may live and die in the blessedness of this comfort?
A. Three. First, the greatness of my sin and wretchedness. Second,how I am freed from all my sins and their wretched consequences. Third,what gratitude I owe to God for such redemption.

What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord! (Romans 7:24-25)

Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies. (1 Cor. 6:19-20)

Thoughts: The Heidelberg Catechism was ordered to be written by Frederick the Elector of the Palatinate of Germany as an effort to make a common statement acceptable to the Lutherans as well as the Reformed. Zacharias Ursinus a professor and Kaspar Olevianus, the preacher, finished it in 1562. German speaking Presbyterians brought this confession with them to the United States.   The content of these questions and answers is very important.
     Paul was deeply aware of his sin and also of his limitations and lacked comfort.  Someone has once said that the closer we get to the Holy One the more we are aware of our own shortcomings.  Our ultimate comfort is the only comfort in the face of life and in the face of death.  Question two forms the basis of the sinners prayer that is a universal belief among Christians.  It acknowledges we are sinners, that Christ frees us from the consequences of our sin, and that we should be grateful to God.  This catechism emphasizes the gratitude we owe to God.  Indeed, we should be grateful to God for the eternal comfort we can have in this transitory world. 
     Life is hard and everyone has problems at one time or another.  It is a universal phenomenon. Yet, there is a universal source for comfort- Jesus Christ.  In the worst sadness we face- we can remember He understands, and He has brought tidings of comfort and joy.  In the face of the worst life can do to us- suffering and death- He has brought the hope of the resurrection.  

Prayer: Lord, may I live a grateful life this day- not only for my blessings, but for all that you do. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nDXJEIz8qk&feature=youtu.be
(Song- "Come Ye Disconsolate" arrangement in memory of those who died in the 2007 tornadoes from Enterprise Alabama's high school chorus)

No comments:

Post a Comment