Monday, March 26, 2012

3/27/12- Flagrant and Repetitive Sins

35- 3/27-WLC- 151.3
Q. 151. What are those aggravations that make some sins more heinous than others?
A. Sins receive their aggravations,
3. From the nature and quality of the offence: if it be against the express letter of the law, break many commandments, contain in it many sins: if not only conceived in the heart, but breaks forth in words and actions, scandalize others, and admit of no reparation: if against means, mercies, judgments, light of nature, conviction of conscience, public or private admonition, censures of the church, civil punishments; and our prayers, purposes, promises, vows, covenants, and engagements to God or men: if done deliberately, willfully, presumptuously, impudently, boastingly, maliciously, frequently, obstinately, with delight, continuance, or relapsing after repentance.

The look on their faces testifies against them; they parade their sin like Sodom; they do not hide it. Woe to them! They have brought disaster upon themselves. (Isa. 3:9)

Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the LORD made them holy. 13 “‘Yet the people of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness. They did not follow my decrees but rejected my laws—by which the person who obeys them will live—and they utterly desecrated my Sabbaths. So I said I would pour out my wrath on them and destroy them in the wilderness. (Ezek. 20:12-13)

Thoughts: A flagrant and open sin is worse than a private heart-held sin in that the openness may ruin the witness of the Gospel.  If it is done despite warnings and rebukes it is also aggravating. When we are warned time and time again not to do something and given chance after chance to come back and we refuse that chance- it is worse than if we just sin once.  

Prayer: Keep me Lord from open and flamboyant sin.  Help me to listen to the rebuke of a friend. 

(Lindsay Lohan 2007 and 2010 mug shots- arrested multiple times)

No comments:

Post a Comment