Wednesday, March 28, 2012

3/29/12- Christ as Prophet Priest and King

37- 3/29-WSC- 23
Q. 23- What positions does Christ hold as our Redeemer?
A. Christ, as our Redeemer, holds the positions of a prophet, a priest, and a king in His being humbled and being exalted.

8 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, 21 He began by saying to them, “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.” (Luke 4;18,21)

Thoughts: Moses was the closest to being king, prophet, and priest- but he gave the bulk of the priesthood to Aaron.  Moses said that in the last days God would raise up a prophet like him (Dt. 18:18).  David was a king and a prophet- but not a priest.  Same with Solomon.  Jeremiah was a prophet and priest but not a king.  Christ fully embodied all three anointed offices and this is a sign that He is the Messiah.

Prayer: I owe you my allegiance and tribute as my king; my listening ear as my prophet; my gratitude and service for your sacrifice. I owe you my all, O Lord. 

(Crucifixion- Mantegna 1459)
Christ prophesied his death and prophesied the thief would be with Him in paradise.  Christ sacrificed as our great high priest; He died with the inscription “king of the Jews”)

1986 Q. 23. How is Christ our redeemer?
A. As our redeemer, Christ is a prophet, priest, and king in both His humiliation and His exaltation.

1647 Q. 23. What offices doth Christ execute as our Redeemer?
A. Christ, as our Redeemer, executeth the offices of a prophet,
 of a priest, and of a king, both in his estate of humiliation and exaltation.





No comments:

Post a Comment